This article covers the difference between each type of user in your monday.com account. Keep reading to learn more. 👇
To explain it simply, an admin is kind of like a "super user" which has the ability to oversee the entire account; managing everything from users and boards to security and billing. This allows for one team member (or more if you choose) to manage their team effectively and securely. Check out this article to learn more about what is an admin and how to add one.
Team members are your teammates or employees in your department or organization whom you work with everyday! They can see all information on Main boards, and can be invited to collaborate easily on both Shareable and Private boards.
There are two types of team members: members and viewers. Continue reading to learn about what Members and Viewers mean!
A member is a type of team member that has editing access to boards on an account. Furthermore, a member can do the following (as well as the admin of course):
- Create and edit a board
- Create and edit items
- Create and edit folders
- Invite other members inside a board and item
- Viewing capabilities of all main boards
- Be invited to shareable or private boards
- Edit his profile
- Communicate and add attachments
The amount of members you can invite to your account depends on the plan you have purchased. For example, if you are on the Standard plan for 10 users, this means you can invite up to 10 members. For more information about the pricing, check this out.
Viewers are another type of user that you can invite to your monday.com account. Exactly like team members, they have access to the main board section and to the Shareable or Private boards you decide to share with them. The difference is that they are only able to view boards, with no editing rights whatsoever.
A viewer can:
- View all the Main boards from any open workspace on the account (and any private workspace that they are added to)
- Open an item and read the updates
- Search or filter within a board
- Be invited to the shareable or private boards
- Edit their profile section
- Invite new viewers (unless the admin blocks this setting).
- Open the board views
- Be assigned to a item
- Be added to a team
- View and customize information in My Work
- Export boards to Excel
A viewer cannot:
- Create/delete a new board
- Make any changes to any content on a board
- Make any changes to the structure of a board
- Edit information in My Work
- Change any setting of the board
- Add updates to a item or like an update posted by someone else
- Subscribe themselves and others to an item/board
- Be assigned as owner of a board
- Invite a guest to a shareable board
- Create a team
How many viewers can I invite to my account?
You can invite an unlimited amount of viewers regardless the plan you have purchased. Viewers will not count towards your billing. Viewers can themselves invite other viewers to see the account unless the admin of the account restricts this setting.
A Guest is a user who is external to your organization and to your affiliates, subsidiaries and any other related entity. Examples of Guests are clients, vendors, freelancers, external consultants, etc.
A Guest must have an email domain that is different from the email domains associated with your organization, affiliates, subsidiaries and any other related entity, and can only be invited to Shareable Boards. They will NOT be able to view information on Main or Private Boards. This amazing feature helps you to collaborate safely with people who are external, while maintaining the security of the information stored on Main and Private Boards.
With custom roles, Enterprise admins can create unique, account-level roles according to a team member's job title, department, or any other suitable definition, and to then assign specific permissions for that role. This feature was built with the goal of simplifying effective governance of an account, while giving the proper amount of freedom to employees within their domain.
Once a custom role has been created, it can then be assigned to any team member on your account through the user management section!
Subscribers are admins, team members and guests that are "following" or subscribed to a board. Each time someone posts an update on a board, it will appear in the inbox of every subscriber of that board. To learn more about it, check out this article.
A board owner is either:
- The person who created the board
- Any subscribers of the board which the board creator has chosen to be co-owners of the board.
Board ownership is an important feature when setting restrictions on boards, like making them read only for non-owners using board permissions.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team right here. We’re available 24/7 and happy to help.