Whether you've mistakingly opened multiple accounts or are a part of a few different teams, you may have asked yourself "can I copy boards or dashboards from one account to the other?" Well, the answer is yes! With a few clicks of a button, the admin of the account can duplicate a folder of boards, dashboards, or both from one account to another 🙌
Important to know
Prior to using this feature, there are a few important conditions which must be met in order for it to work properly:
- In order for this feature to work you must be an admin on both accounts (i.e the current account that you'd like to transfer boards/dashboards from and the destination account that you want to transfer the boards/dashboards to) with the same email address.
- The boards that you are looking to transfer must be set as Main boards and placed inside of a folder. If you are looking to transfer any dashboards over, they also must be set as Main dashboards (not private) and placed within a folder.
- You must have the correct account permissions enabled on the destination account which allow you to create new boards within that account.
Additionally, board subscribers will only remain subscribed when copying a board from one account to another if those users are part of the destination account with the same email address in both accounts. You can learn more about how this works in this section below!
How to use this feature
Once you've ensured that all of the conditions above are met, you can follow the steps below to use this feature.
1. Create a folder
If you do not have one already, create the folder that will be moved to the destination account. To create a folder, simply click the "+ Add" sign and then choose "New Folder". You can also move your Main boards or dashboards to any existing folders that you already have.
2. Transfer relevant Main boards or dashboards into the folder
Only Main boards or dashboards can be duplicated to another account. Make sure to change your board types or dashboard types to "Main" before duplicating them. Once done, move all the relevant boards/dashboards to the designated folder by doing the following:
- Hover over them in the board's list
- Right click with your mouse
- Select "Move to" and then "Move to folder"
You can also simply drag and drop the board or dashboard into its relevant folder.
3. Locate the "Cross Account Copier" feature
To access this feature, click on your profile picture in the bottom left corner of your screen and select "Admin". Next, click on "Cross Account Copier" as shown below:
4. Select the folder of boards/dashboards you wish to move
Search for and select the folder you'd like to copy over from the list. When hovering over the folder name, you can also select "View folder contents" to review the boards and/or dashboards that live in this folder which will be duplicated over:
When copying a dashboard from one account to another, try to ensure that any boards that are connected to this dashboard are located in the same folder. Otherwise, if one or more of the boards that connect to a Dashboards are not located in the same folder, you will see the below message appear and any data from the connected board(s) will be lost unless they are added to the folder.
5. Enter the destination account URL
It's now time to select the account which you'd like to move this folder to! Simply type in your account URL name (if your account URL is myaccount.monday.com, you would write "myaccount" here) and click on the "Continue" button:
6. Check your email inbox for a confirmation link
Last but not least, in order to complete the copying of boards and/or dashboards between accounts, you have to check your email inbox in order to confirm the transfer.
After following the steps above and then entering the email inbox associated with your monday.com account, you should receive an email as shown below. All you have to do is click the blue "Click to confirm" button and you're good to go!
And voilà, within a few moments the selected folder of boards and/or dashboards will be available on the destination account! 🎉
What happens to the board subscribers of a transferred board?
Once you've duplicated a board from one account to another, you may be wondering what happens to the original subscribers of the transferred board. Well, the answer to this depends on whether those users are part of the destination account with the same email address in both accounts. If this is the case, then the board subscribers, assignees and updates will transfer over properly. 🙌
If the users that are subscribed to the original board are not a part of the destination account with the same email address, those users will not be subscribed to the transferred board. Additionally, in the transferred board, these users will be not be assigned to the items that they were assigned to on the original board and any updates written by them will be attributed to a general monday.com user as so:
We do have some limitations when duplicating folders of boards to another account using this feature. The following elements will not be duplicated:
- Private or Shareable boards
- Info Boxes
- The Activity Log
- Deactivated recipes (those which are toggled off)
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team right here. We’re available 24/7 and happy to help.