We have recently have made updates with respect to our default hosting locations. In addition to the US Data Region, we may store data within the EU or APAC Data Region. Both of these options are storage and processing facilities that are operated by Amazon Web Services (AWS).
For EU Data Region
Storing data in monday.com EU Data Region is available for Enterprise plans, and for our customers on Standard/Pro plans who signed up on or after January 23rd 2023. You can view your storage details in the admin section of your monday.com account as explained in the section below "Where is my data stored?".
For APAC Data Region
For accounts on the Australia Data Region - data hosted in Sub-Processors’ data regions may be hosted in data regions outside of Australia. Currently, data stored by our Sub-Processors Amazon Web Services, Inc. and Redis Labs, Inc. is stored in their respective Australia data regions. Data stored by our additional Sub Processors is hosted in the data regions as detailed under the Global data region on our Sub-Proccessors page.
Let's take a look at some frequently asked questions and deep dive into all the details you need to know when considering your storage options.
A Data Region is a geographical region where Customer Data (as defined below) is physically stored. Whether you are located in the EU, Africa or the Middle East, your data will automatically be stored in our EU Data Region.
If you are from North/South America, Southern/Southeast Asia or Oceania, your data will be stored in our US data region.
Account data refers to everything on your monday.com account, whether it is uploaded by you or controlled by monday.com. So which type of data is stored in what location?
- Customer Data: All data that is uploaded to your monday.com account by account members, including files, images, items, updates, etc., and is processed by monday.com on behalf of its customer. Customer Data will be stored either in the US or EU Data Region (depending on what is applicable to your account - for more details see below).
- All data controlled by monday.com, including user credentials, profiles, usage analytics, metadata of automations, integrations, and monday Apps will be stored in our default Data Region in the United States.
You can see where your data is hosted within the admin section of your monday.com account. To access it, click on your profile picture in the bottom left corner, and then select "Admin". Once in the admin section, click the "General" tab, and you should see the region indicated under "Data residency" at the bottom of your screen, as shown below:
Please note: only Enterprise customers on the EU Data Region will have their Customer Data solely physically hosted within the EU Data Region. This includes sub-processors that we use to provide certain functionalities in our platform that will store your data in an EU Data Region. To view the sub-processors in use in the EU Data Region, click here.
With respect to Standard/Pro plan customers on the EU Data Region - Customer Data (i.e. uploaded data) may also be processed in the United States. In this case, such transfers are subject to the Standard Contractual Clauses as authorized transfer mechanism in accordance with the GDPR. For more information, please refer to this page.
Additional Data Regions are currently under review and will be announced in the future as they become relevant options.
Since the data is stored physically in a predetermined location, once an account is active and begins storing your data, it cannot me moved to an alternate location. If, however, you choose to switch to a different data storage location, you simply have to reach out to your local partner or Enterprise account manager, and they will create a new account that will store your data in the data center of your choice going forward.
Does the Data Region affect how you use monday.com?
Data Region does not change the user experience of monday.com. However, there are a few features that are impacted when your data is stored in monday.com's EU Data Region.
We are working hard on enhancing these functionalities and hope to bring them to every account, regardless of the data region, very soon!
- Templates - Some ready-made templates are facilitated in other regions, and are currently unavailable for use on accounts storing data in EU Data Region.
- New features - There may be instances where we perform a gradual rollout of a new feature or functionality in phases. The feature or functionality is often first released to a certain percentage of accounts or to accounts in certain locations or data regions. This means that depending on your location or data region, you may not receive new features in the early stages of new feature deployment.
- Previously, preview of files were disabled for all EU Enterprise accounts as well as HIPAA-compliant Enterprise accounts since such service was performed through a third party sub-processor in the US Data region.
- As of April 2, 2023, the preview of files is performed in-house and is therefore now also available our EU and AU Enterprise customers.
- As of April 19th, the preview of files is performed in-house and is therefore now also available to all our HIPAA-compliant Enterprise plans for all type of documents such as PDF, Powerpoint, Excel etc.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team right here. We’re available 24/7 and happy to help.