Short term rental and hotel management involves a dedicated team and first class organization keep it all together. In the hospitality industry, ensuring your guests are satisfied and have the perfect experience is top of mind. With the help monday.com, you can simplify this process by managing your guests' experience from their booking, to the time of their stay, in one unified platform.
This guide will focus on two main boards, managing your guests' bookings as well as managing the ongoing cleaning schedules of the rooms. This will be intertwined with personlized views and automations to boost your workflows even further. Stay with us as we jump right in!
Set up your Guests Management board
This is the core of your workflow, which will enable you to manage all your incoming bookings, track where they are coming from, your guests' contact details, payments, special requests and more.
This board is organized in a way that the groups represent incoming reservations, current guests and past bookings. Each individual item records an individual booking, while the columns reflect various different pieces of data for that booking. Let's take a look at some of the highlights of the columns:
- Phone column to store guest contact numers
- Email column to track guest email addresses
- Timeline column to reflect the guests' duration of their stay
- Multiple status columns to track whether the booking is confirmed or not and if payment has been made
- Numbers column to track the payment due and the number of guests
- Link to Item column to connect each booking with the cleaning management board (we'll dive into this further later on!)
Add personalized views to enhance your guest management
With an array of different views available, you can pick and choose which information from your board you'd like to view, and how.
Let's look at two powerful views that will enable you to better manage your guests' bookings and experience:
- Workload view
Nobody likes being overbooked, and as hotel or rental company, this isn't a mistake you'd like to make. Being able to visualise guests' requested duration stays on a timeline can turn that experience into a rather simple one. With the Workload view, you can see your current bookings and availabilities clearly allowing you to fill up any openings. With everything laid out in front of you, your team can say goodbye to overbooking!
- Forms view
The Form view provides a quick and simple solution to gathering information from guests about desired bookings, and having it automatically populate into your account, cutting out the double work. You can keep things simple by embedding this form into your website, and allowing your guests to add their comments and special requests right from the get-go. There's nothing like a personal touch to provide the best experience!
The Form view is uses your board as its basis, but allows you to be selective about what questions your potential guests can see on the form, to add descriptions and other customizations. All incoming responses to the form will drop into the first group on your board, your Incoming Reservations, which can be taken care of by the team.
See the bigger picture with data-driven views
Up until now, we covered how you can use your board to track and manage your guests booking. Now, let's take a look at how you can use the data on your board to provide you with necessary overviews to stay on top of your business, and make informed decisions at all times.
- Chart View
This powerful view gives you the exact breakdowns to see a snapshot of your booking statuses, payment statuses and more. Below, you can see how we've utilized the Chart view to reflect a breakdown of the payment statuses showing us exactly what amount has been paid and what amount is still expected.
Automate processes with automations
Views coupled with automations is the recipe for a perfectly executed workflow. Automations help save you time by reducing manual steps and keeping everything flowing behind the scenes. On the Guest Management board, you can add various types of automations to trigger actions across your account and keep things organized. Read on to learn more about some of the automations we've added to this board.
- Move items around based on status change
Whenever the status column label is changed, a chain of automations can be triggered to make sure the item or booking is moved to its correct place. For example, whenever the status of the booking is changed to "Booking Finished", the booking will automatically be moved to the "Past bookings" group
A similar automation is set up whenever the status of a booking is changed to "Current guests", such that the item will move to the "Current guests" group.
- Date reminder notifications
This one makes sure that nothing ever gets overlooked by sending out a reminder notification to the relevant people based on a due date. This way, everyone can prepare and never be caught off guard.
- Cross board automations
Another automation added here, is to make sure that whenever the guests' status is changed to "Current Guests", an item is populated in the second board, the Cleaning Management board, to ensure all cleaning arrangements are made prior to and throughout the guests' stay. This item will link the two boards through the Link to item column which we will cover further down👇.
All these automations work together to ensure an efficient workflow and to maintain constant communication so nothing falls behind.
Build your Cleaning Management Board
This board will be used to manage the entire cleaning process for every current guest's room and should be shared with your cleaning team. This ensures that the cleaning process is transparent so that the front desk and management have a clear understanding of the status of each room.
This is a simple board, similar to the Guests Management board showing the current guests, their duration dates, number of guests, room number and their booking status. In addition to that, the cleaning status has been added here. So, each time a room has been cleaned, the cleaner simply needs to change the status to "Cleaned".
As soon as a cleaner has changed the cleaning status to "Cleaned", 3 different actions will be triggered on the board.
1. An automation will trigger a notification to the relevant parties such as the front desk and shift manager.
2. As the reminder notification is sent out (as a result of the previous automation), the cleaning status will automatically be changed to "Notification sent".
3. Lastly, once the status has been changed to "Notification sent" (as a result of the previous automation), the status will be returned to its default status of "To be cleaned". This will create a recurring event to clean the rooms allowing the team to keep track of the which rooms need to be cleaned next.
Connect your boards for better context
Remember the Link to Item column we mentioned earlier on? Let's take a deeper look at that now. This column will allow you to connect the two boards and corresponding items to one another so that all important informations is kept in context. This allows management to focus only on the Guest Management board, and still have a glimpse at what the cleaning status for every room is.
No need to switch around and waste any time when everything is clearly laid out in front of you!
To summarize this workflow:
- All bookings from guests are managed on the Guest Management board.
- New inquiries are received through a monday.com Form and enter directly into the Incoming Reservations group.
- Data driven insights can be derived from the Chart view to get overviews and plan better later on.
- The second board, Cleaning Management board is used by the cleaning team to keep track of the cleaning statuses of all the rooms.
- The link to item column connects both boards keeping all important info in context.
- Automations work behind the scenes to keep this workflow together.
There you have it! The basics to get started managing your guests and bookings on monday.com!
If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to our customer success team at [email protected].