When it comes to managing your CRM workflow, duplicate values on your board can be disruptive to tracking and progress. Now, managing duplicate items is easier than ever. This article will walk you through using the "Manage duplicates" feature.
How to manage duplicates
On your board, navigate to the three-dot icon in the upper right-hand corner of your board. Click to open the menu. Hover over "More actions" and then select the "Manage duplicates" button in the menu:
A window will open. Select a column to search for duplicates. Keep in mind that the column values need to be identical for the tool to identify them as duplicates.
Once you select the column that you want to search for duplicates, click "Search". On the next screen, you will see a list of duplicates found on your board. Here you will be asked to choose the items you would like to keep. Simply review the duplicates and click the empty box to the left of the item to place a check next to the items you would like to keep. Keep in mind that:
- You can modify the value in any of the columns just as your would on your board. So, if you find that you need to change a value on the item you intend to keep, you can make that change before merging.
- Updates posted in the Updates Section of the duplicate item will be moved to the item that you choose to keep.
- You can only check the box next to one item.
- If you want to keep both items, exit the feature by clicking on the X in the top right corner. Any changes you made to an item while using the feature will be visible on your board after exiting.
Click on "Merge Items" and your board will instantly be cleaned up according to your preferences.
How does the merge work?
- Once you select the item you would like to keep and click "Merge", the duplicate item(s) will be archived and all updates from the duplicate(s) will be copied to the item that you choose to keep. You will see a notification that says "Duplications merged successfully" when the merge is complete.
How do you undo a merge?
- If you would like to undo a merge, at this time, you must visit the board archives and manually unarchive the item(s) that you merged. The archived item will appear just as it did before the merge. The updates will still be visible in the duplicate's updates section and the files will still be in the Files Column.
Can you choose any column to search for duplicates?
- There are some limitations. We currently support the following columns: Text, Email, Link, Name, Numeric, Country, Status, Phone, and a few others. Currently, this feature does not support the Files Column. We will add additional column types in the future.
Does the merge allow you to transfer files?
- Everything in the updates section is copied, including images and files. However, at this time, files in the Files Column are not retained in the merge.
What about app data?
- Data from apps, such as Emails & Activities or the Quotes & Invoices app, are not transferred in the merge. We do have plans to make this possible in the future.
We're working to improve this feature so that it serves all of your needs. These are a few of the improvements that we're working on:
- Undo. We will add the ability to undo a merge with the click of a button.
- Copy apps. We will expand the feature so that apps like Email & Activities are copied in a merge as well.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team using our contact form. We're available 24/7 and happy to help!