We're excited to announce the initial release of mondayDB, the brand new data infrastructure behind our WorkOS that was built to drive your best work. mondayDB adapts to your largest, most complex work scenarios, allowing you to build and manage workflows at scale, without being limited by performance constraints. 💥
How it works
mondayDB is a new database architecture that gives you limitless flexibility and adapts to your growing needs. In short, it was built from the group up to support a larger scale of boards and dashboards at speed, extend our public API and data manipulation capabilities, and support countless new use cases and custom workflows.
This is just the beginning! Following our initial release of mondayDB on June 23, 2023, you can expect the release timeline to look as following for our upcoming mondayDB features:
Capabilities it provides
mondayDB provides loads of capabilities to help speed up your work and make your experience using monday.com as smooth as can be. These include:
- Major performance improvements: With mondayDB's separate storage and compute layers, you can enjoy improved speed across billions of boards that support your growth and your most complex workflows.
- Elasticity at scale: mondayDB supports your unique needs and adapts to the way you work best as you continue to add users, data tables, and query volume by having the ability to store, retrieve, and query any data type.
- Ability to perform complex queries, quickly: With mondayDB, since data from boards is stored in both row and columnar databases, it can select which queries to run based on the required manipulation, resulting in a high throughput of queries and low latency on any combination of tables.
- Real-time data updates: Throughout any board or dashboard, changes are immediately available for queries whenever they are made, allowing for automations and integrations to be run in real time.
- Endless customization possibilities: mondayDB takes the monday.com open API to a whole new level — multi-level mirror linkage, filters, aggregations, and formula calculations will now be supported. This allows developers to build any app, solution, or software they need on top of the monday.com platform.
With the new mondayDB engine on boards, you can enjoy a much faster board loading experience and smoother performance overall. This is currently released to 100% of users on all board types!
We're very excited to release the next phase of mondayDB, the new data engine powering our dashboards! Using this, you will experience dramatically faster and smoother performance of your dashboards.
Dashboards will now be upgraded to the new data engine automatically, however, you can also choose to revert to the old dashboard engine should you wish. To do this, click on the three-dot menu at the top right of your dashboard and select "Go back to old dashboard engine" as shown below.
mondayDB on the API
In correlation with the mondayDB changes that we made to the main monday.com platform, we’ve also upgraded the data engine powering our API to align with these improvements. 🙌
The timeline for our mondayDB API release can be found below:
Additionally, you can check out our resources below to dive into all things mondayDB on the API:
- List of updates to the API (with technical details)
- Migration guide for developers
- Recorded training session (for developers and admins)
- API versioning guide
- Dev community - superthread of tips and tricks
mondayDB on mobile
At the moment, mondayDB is not yet available on mobile. It will be available very soon in gradual release, starting with iOS and later on with Android!
During 2024, we plan to offer the option to increase the current limit on amount of board items, dashboards items, and connections per Connect Boards Column with additional payment! These limits will be increased to:
- What is it, in a nutshell?
mondayDB is our new underlying data architecture, serving the monday.com Work OS platform and ecosystem. mondayDB is built from the ground up to support a larger scale of boards and dashboards at speed, extend our public API and data manipulation capabilities, and support countless new use cases and custom workflows.
- How can I tell if mondayDB has already been rolled out to my account?
- Should I expect a planned downtime as mondayDB is rolled out to my account?
No. We’re taking every precaution to ensure a smooth rollout with no downtime and no data loss. We closely track our data integrity and loading time metrics, so if we encounter any problems, we’ll be ready to roll back before you notice an issue on your end.
- Will I experience problems after transitioning to mondayDB? If so, what should I do?
Our experience so far has shown that our rollout flow has been smooth overall. If you encounter any problems, simply contact support. We give issues potentially related to mondayDB a higher priority and expect them to be resolved swiftly.
- Will mondayDB be available for all customers?
Yes. Its impact will be most significant on load-time for large boards and dashboards; when using filtering, aggregation, and automation capabilities on large data sets.
- What other effects can I expect from mondayDB except for its impact on boards and dashboards?
Initially, only boards and dashboards will be affected. However, during 2024, mondayDB will improve the entirety of the Work OS platform, including automations, integrations, and API.
- Will this release include functionality change as well?
Initial releases will improve performance and scale for existing features. Later releases will add new layers of functionality by extending the monday.com open API.
- Will mondayDB cost money?
All mondayDB enhancements related to performance on all areas of the platform (boards, dashboards, API, and mobile) are free of charge! However, enhancements related to increasing platform limits will be charged for. Additionally, in the future there is also the possibility that additional functionalities that haven't been developed yet will require payment.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team right here. We’re available 24/7 and happy to help.