Whether you've mistakingly opened multiple accounts or are a part of a few different teams, you may have asked yourself "can I copy boards from one account to the other?" Well, the answer is yes! With a few clicks of a button, you can duplicate a folder of boards from one account to another 🙌
Prior to using this feature, there are a few important conditions which must be met in order for it to work properly:
- In order for this feature to work you must be an admin on both accounts (i.e the current account that you'd like to transfer boards from and the destination account that you want to transfer the boards to) with the same email address.
- The boards that you are looking to transfer must be set as Main boards and placed inside of a folder.
- This is a granted feature and therefore you may need to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to have it added to your accounts. Please make sure to send us the URL of both accounts (i.e. XXX.monday.com) when requesting this feature.
- Once the feature is granted to both the current account and the destination account, it will be available in the admin section for you to use.
Once you've ensured that all of the conditions above are met, you can follow the steps below to use this feature.
Create a folder
If you do not have one already, create the folder that will be moved to the destination account. To create a folder, simply click the "+ Add" sign and then choose "New Folder". You can also move your main boards to any existing folders that you already have.
Transfer relevant Main boards into the folder
Only Main boards can be duplicated to another account. Make sure to change your board types to Main before duplicating them. Once done, move all the relevant boards to the designated folder by doing the following:
- Hover over the board in the board's list
- Right click with your mouse
- Select "Move to folder"
You can also simply drag and drop the board into its folder.
Locate the "Cross Account Copier" feature
To access this feature, click on your profile picture in the bottom left corner of your screen and select "Admin". Next, click on "Cross Account Copier" as shown below:
As a reminder, this is a granted feature and therefore you may need to reach out to email@example.com to have it added to your accounts if you do not see it already here. Please make sure to send us the URL of both accounts (i.e. XXX.monday.com) if requesting this feature.
Select the folder of boards you wish to move
Search for and select the folder you'd like to copy over from the list. When hovering over the folder name, you can also select "View folder contents" to review the boards that live in this folder which will be duplicated over:
Enter the destination account URL
It's now time to select the account which you'd like to move this folder to! Simply type in your account URL name (if your account URL is myaccount.monday.com, you would write "myaccount" here) and click on the "Continue" button:
And voilà, within a few moments this folder of boards will be available on the destination account! 🎉
What happens to the board subscribers of a transferred board?
Once you've duplicated a board from one account to another, you may be wondering what happens to the original subscribers of the transferred board. Well, the answer to this depends on whether those users are part of the destination account with the same email address in both accounts. If this is the case, then the board subscribers, assignees and updates will transfer over properly. 🙌
Otherwise, if the users that are subscribed to the original board are not a part of the destination account with the same email address, those users will not be subscribed to the transferred board. Additionally, in the transferred board, these users will be not be assigned to the items that they were assigned to on the original board and any updates written by them will be attributed to a general monday.com user as so:
We do have some limitations when duplicating folders of boards to another account using this feature. The following elements will not be duplicated:
- Private or Shareable boards
- Info Boxes
- The Activity Log
- Automation recipes with mapping (ex: item creation automations)
- Deactivated recipes (those which are toggled off)
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team by using our contact form. We're available 24/7 and happy to help! 🙂