System for Cross-domain Identity Management (a.k.a. SCIM) is a protocol for user management across multiple applications. It allows an IT or Operations team to easily provision (add), deprovision (deactivate), and update user data across multiple applications at once.
To set up SCIM provisioning in Okta you will need to have the involvement of both the monday.com admin and the manager of your Okta account.
SCIM capabilities supported in monday.com
- Provisioning of Users
- Deprovisioning of Users
- Provisioning of Teams
- Deprovisioning of Teams
- Team Renaming
- Updating User Details
- Assigning Users to Teams
- Unassigning Users from Teams
- Changing User’s Password
- Step 1 - Add monday.com to Okta
Go to your Okta admin page and switch to the "Classic UI" by clicking on the developer console:
Then click on applications, click add app, and search for monday.com in the app store:
- Step 2 - Go to Provisioning
Go to the Okta Admin page and select the monday.com application from the list. Then select the tab “Provisioning”
Then click on the settings tab “Integration” and then "Configure API Integration":
- Step 3 - Go to the monday.com admin section to retrieve the provisioning token
To do this, open up your monday.com account and click on your profile picture in the bottom left corner and then select "Admin". From the admin section of your account, click on "Security" and the left side and then into the SCIM section.
Here you can generate a token and then copy and paste it into Okta.
- Step 4 - Enable Provisioning
Paste the API Token into Okta and test the API Credentials:
Once you receive verification that the credentials are valid, click save
- Step 5 - Complete your setup
Click on the "To App" tab in the settings and enable all of the abilities you will need to work with monday.com.
Set up user provisioning
Go to the assignments tab under your monday.com app and then click on assign and choose to assign people or groups to the monday.com app.
These fields are supported for mapping user attributes:
- Name (can’t contain special characters)
- Email (must be lowercase)
- userType (admin, member, viewer, guest, custom roles)
- Title (user’s position listed in Profile Section)
- Active (whether or not a user is enabled or disabled)
- Locale (Language)
- Phone number
Set up user type attribute
You can provision the monday.com user type by creating a custom attribute in Okta.
The optional user types are:
- or custom role id
To set up SCIM provisioning to support custom roles as user types:
- Configure the relevant custom role on monday.com as described in this article.
- Copy the custom role ID. This can be done from the account permissions center, by clicking on the three-dot menu right next to the role name and then "Copy ID", as shown below.
- Click the Directory tab, then select Profile Editor
- Click the Add Attribute button
- Fill out the fields and click Save (at the bottom):
Set up team provisioning
What does it mean to push a group into monday.com? When you push a group into monday.com you will create a new team in your account with all the users that are assigned to that group in Okta.
Before pushing a group into monday.com, first, make sure to assign the group to the monday.com account. It is important to assign the group before you push the group because the group cannot be pushed unless all the users in the group are already in the monday.com account.
1. Assign the group to your monday.com account
2. Click on the Push Groups tab and click the button “Push Groups”
3. Select the group you would like to push into monday.com and click "Save"
Please find the below table that contains error codes and their possible reason. Check out the third column for resolution suggestions:
We've outlined a list of SCIM-related frequently asked questions for you. Click on this link here to check them out!
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team right here. We’re available 24/7 and happy to help.