Have you ever wanted an easy way to visualize a few different parameters of data from your workflow? Looking for a way to gain insights, measure outcomes, or prioritize your work based off of your numerical data? With the bubble chart, you can seamlessly display up to three different numerical values in relation to each other all in one place.
Where do I find the Bubble chart?
The bubble chart can be found as part of the Chart Widget within our Dashboards. To locate the bubble chart, create a new Dashboard or Dashboard view and then add the Chart Widget. From there, under the "Chart type" section in the widget settings, select the bubble chart:
How does it work?
In the bubble chart, the X and Y axis positioning of the bubble, as well as the bubble size, are dictated according to various numerical values on your board. Therefore, you must have two or three numerical values located on your board by using the Number or Formula Columns.
As an example, in our "Tea Imports Project Portfolio" board below, we have three different numerical values that we are looking to compare to each other:
- The amount budgeted
- The projected cost estimation
After setting up your bubble chart configuration (we'll go over this next!), each bubble on the chart will indicate one item from your board. From there, the positioning and size of the bubble will be set according to the numerical columns from your board.
We set up our bubble chart below to have the projected cost estimations on the X axis, the budgeted amount on the Y axis, and the units ordered to dictate the size of the bubble.
Configuring the chart
To set up your bubble chart, you'll need to define which numerical value will be represented on the X axis, the Y axis, and as the size of the bubble. Let's go over each of these, below!
- X axis
First and foremost, to decide how the bubbles will be positioned horizontally on your chart, click into the "X Axis" section of the chart settings. From there, select the column type which you want to display and then the relevant column from your board, as so:
- Bubble radius
Next up, to choose which value will dictate the size of each bubble on your chart, click into the "Bubble Radius" section of the chart settings. Here, you have two options:
- To choose a static bubble size so that all bubbles on your chart will have the same radius and the size will not change according to any value on your board.
- To have the bubble size set according to a numerical value on your board. Using this, the higher number that each item has, the larger that bubble will be!
For our example, we chose to have the bubble radius set according to the units ordered so that we can easily understand which items are ordered most based on the size of its bubble!
- Y axis
Last but not least, it's time to choose how the bubbles will be positioned vertically on your chart! To do this, click into the "Y Axis" category of the chart settings and select the numerical value that you'd like to have represented here:
Important things to know
When using the bubble chart, it is important to keep in mind the following:
- The bubble chart is configured according to three elements: The X axis, the Y axis and the bubble size.
- The X axis, the Y axis, and bubble size parameters only support numerical columns, it is not able to show data from the Status Column or other values that are not numerical.
- The bubble chart can display data from up to 500 items. Otherwise, if you have over 500 items on your board, there will not be room for them all to be displayed at once on the chart.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team right here. We’re available 24/7 and happy to help.