When using the Connect Boards Column, the number of boards that you are able to connect is set according to your plan type. Additionally, on each board, you have the ability to link up to 10,000 items total. We keep these limits in place to ensure the top-notch performance of your board at all times.
In this article, we'll explore more on why we have this limit in place and how you can remove any unnecessary links if you get close to reaching this limit. Let's dive in!
Board connections per plan
When using the Connect Boards Column, the number of different boards that you are able to connect to a single board varies according to the plan type that you are on:
- Basic plan: 1 connected board
- Standard plan: 5 connected boards
- Pro plan: 20 connected boards
- Enterprise plan: 60 connected boards
For example, in the Connect Boards column on our "Project Overview Board" below, we can see through the column settings that there are three separate boards connected.
Item linkage limitations
Here at monday.com, performance is of utmost importance to us so that teams can work as efficiently as possible. In order to keep board performance speedy and smooth, it is necessary to limit the amount of connected items (linkages) that can be made on a board or item.
Therefore, we have the following limits in place on any plan type:
- 10,000 connected items per board
- 750 connected items per cell
What is considered one item link?
Every one item that you've linked on your board will be counted as one "link". For example, in the Connect Boards Column below, we have the following links:
- The first item "Project A" is linked to two different items
- The second item "Project B" is linked to one item
- The third item "Project C" is linked to two separate items
Therefore, the total amount of linkages on this board stands at five. As this is far from the 10,000 linkage limit, we can go ahead and link tons of more items on this board! 🙌
What happens as you reach the limit?
As you get closer to reaching the 10,000 linked items limit, you will receive a bell and email notification as well as a warning message banner at the top of the board in the below scenarios:
- If you reach 80% capacity (8,000 linked items on your board), you will receive a warning message that you are approaching the limit.
- If you reach 100% capacity (10,000 linked items on your board), you will see a message displayed that you've reached the limit and will need to remove some links in order to add any more.
How to decrease board linkages
To decrease board linkages, you can choose to either:
- Disconnect an entire board from the Connect Boards Column
- Delete the entire Connect Boards Column itself
- Manually remove linked items from the Connect Boards Column
- Delete/archive an item on your board
Let's go over each of these options, below!
1. Disconnect an entire board from the Connect Boards Column
With this option, you can remove an entire board that was connected through the Connect Boards Column. As a result, all of the items that were previously connected through it will be removed as well.
To do this, click into the Connect Boards Column settings and click the small "x" next to the name of the board which you are looking to remove. From there, select "Disconnect board" to fully remove this board from the Connect Boards Column.
2. Delete the entire Connect Boards Column
Deleting your entire Connect Boards Column altogether will instantly remove all the connected items that it had connected to it. To do this, simply click on the down-facing arrow to the right of the Connect Boards Column title and press "Delete column" as so:
3. Manually remove linked items from the Connect Boards Column
You can also choose to remove specific linked items one by one by clicking into a cell within the Connect Boards Column and unchecking the item that you want to unlink.
4. Delete/archive an item that contains linkages
That's all for now! We hope this article helped to clarify any questions that you may have had on our linkage limitations.
If you have any questions about this or anything else, please reach out to our team by using our contact form. We're available 24/7 and happy to help!