Overseeing the success of many marketing campaigns is no easy task; it requires the ability to be both inventive and detail-oriented all while juggling many moving parts at the same time. For this reason, having one centralized place to manage your campaigns is crucial to their success as it allows you to take charge of the planning process and to evaluate the performance of each campaign at a glance and in real-time.
In this guide, we'll take you through a workflow that allows you to not only outline and prepare your campaigns, but also provides you with a way to oversee and analyze various parameters of each one such as the platform it's running on, its current status, the cost of each campaign, its overall impact, and much more! ✨
Use a template to easily get started
To help you get started with managing your marketing campaigns in a breeze, check out our pre-made templates! Throughout this guide, we'll use the "Campaign Planning" template board as a starting point to help easily get started with customizing our campaign workflow.
Campaign planning and tracking board
We've built out and customized our campaign planning and tracking board to allow us to easily see the owner of the campaign and each of the phases within them, an overview of the various stages that the campaign is in, the performance it had once completed and more!
The board above is structured as so:
We’ve divided up this board into different groups based on the stage that each campaign is currently in (Live, Planned, Paused and Completed) which provides us with a quick overview of where each campaign is at any given time. As with every monday.com board, you can change the group titles to reflect any relevant information you need whether it be weeks, client names, the platform on which the campaign is running and more!
Once you have set up your groups, you can start adding your items. An item on our board will represent each campaign that we are running, completed or are planning to run. We've also changed the item terminology on the board so that it can be super clear to our team members that each item indicates a different campaign.
The columns on the board really make each campaign come to life! Adding different columns gives us the ability to not only store all the information relevant to each campaign in the specific way that we wish, but it also allows us to analyze the performance of each one as well.
We've gone ahead and utilized the following columns on our board:
- People Columns: Since each campaign has an owner, a copywriter and designer involved, we've added three people columns onto our board and we changed the titles accordingly to reflect this information.
- The Dropdown Column: This column was customized to help display the platform that each campaign is running on. Since some campaigns run on multiple platforms simultaneously, this column type is perfect as it allows us to select multiple choices for each item!
- Timeline Column: Campaigns aren’t singular events that occur one off but rather they stretch across a period of time. That’s why the Timeline column is perfect to show us the exact time period in which each campaign is running.
- The Progress Tracking Column: This column combines information from multiple status columns on our board to show us an overview of the completion percentage. Since our board is quite wide and each campaign involves multiple different stages (indicated by status columns), this helps us to easily understand the progress of a campaign without having to scroll.
- Status Column: Status columns can reflect any sort of information that you choose. We've gone ahead and added three to our board to help indicate the stages that each campaign goes through: content, design and publication. While we’ve added it to help track the progress of each phase, you can always add and edit the status label to fit your team’s needs.
- Number Column: We used this column for multiple different purposes: to keep track of the spend for every campaign and to track the number of delivered, opened and clicked emails for each campaign.
- The Link column: Using this column, we can centralize and easily access the links to each of our campaigns.
- The Formula Column: We used two of these columns to instantly calculated the percantage of opened and clicked emails for each of our campaigns. We'll touch more on how this is done in a bit!
- Rating Column: The rating column is used on this board to give us a visual indication of how well the campaign is performing/has performed.
As with any board, the structure is fully customizeable to suit your own needs and so that you can display the exact data that you are looking to see. Now that we've explored the structure of our board, let's see how we can use other monday.com features to take our campaign workflow up a notch! 🙌
Using formulas to calculate opened/clicked rates
As mentioned above, we have a few number columns on our board to indicate the delivered, open, and clicked rates for each of our live or completed campaigns:
In order to easily see the percentage of both the opened and clicked rates for each campaign, we added the below formula to these columns. To use this formula for the clicked percentage, simply change "Opened" to say "Clicked" below, and you'll be good to go!
Communicate internally with your team
Collaborating with your teammates is essential when working with others on a campaign. With the help of the Updates Section, you can communicate directly with your teammates, in context and in one concentrated, collaborative space. We love to use this specifically for jotting down our reminders (especially using Checklists!), providing feedback to our teammates, and to check in with all those collaborating on the campaign to make sure we’re aligned.
Visualize your campaign data in different ways
Board views allow you to see the information from your board reflected in another way according to the parameters that you choose! We've added a few different views to our board so that we can display our campaign data in the various ways that we wish.
- Bring the durations of your campaigns to life the Gantt View
Being able to see oversee the timelines of our projects in a robust, high-level view is super important to us for our campaign management workflow! For this reason, we've chosen to add the Gantt View onto our board as it works together with our board data to provide us with a clear, colourful, and organized visualization of our campaign plans:
From this view, you can get a clear overview of your planned and running campaigns in relation to one another, grouped in any way that you wish. Since we wanted to easily see who is working on which campaign and its progress at a glance, we've grouped and colored the Gantt according to the groups on our board (i.e. the phase that each campaign is in) column and labeled it according to the "Owner' column.
Furthermore, you can move campaign dates around to ensure they better fit your schedule and you can click on the timeline bar itself to see and edit any campaign details, allowing you to work directly from the Gantt view in a breeze!
- Gain insights about your campaigns using the Chart View
The Chart View transforms the data on your board into a customizeable graph, allowing you to see a visual breakdown of the information you need and enabling your team to analyze results in order to make necessary and informed decisions.
Here, we're interested in seeing our campaign spend breakdown based on the different channels that they take place in, and to also set a benchmark of $15,000 as our spending limit per channel. To display this, we've configured the chart settings as so:
Charts are also helpful when you’re interested in seeing breakdowns of the campaigns per clients, for resource planning, to make sure that our workload is equally distributed among our campaign channels, and much more!
- Balance the work distribution of your team with the Workload View
Using the Workload View, you can gain a clear overview and understanding of how your team's resources are divided. Not only this, but you can also work directly from this view to adjust and manage your campaign timeline's and details so that the work is distributed as you wish!
As our marketing team is jam-packed with constantly planning and analyzing campaigns, this view is essential in keeping a fair work distribution for everyone.
Keep relevant stakeholders in the loop
With any campaign, there will be multiple people involved who need to be constantly updated with ongoing progress, whether that be a client, management, an agency that you are working with, or more! For this exact reason, you can easily send a link to your board or board view so that the relevant people can stay up-to-date with important campaign details without having to join your account or having the ability to change any data.
Additionally, by making use of our board filters and saving it as a new view on your board, you can control which information you display in the shareable link that you send out to the relevant stakeholders!
Automate your campaign workflow
Managing multiple different projects, sticking to deadlines, being accountable to different clients while still trying to produce top-notch quality campaigns at the same time? We feel you! To make your life a little easier and to reduce manual work that you do, check out our monday.com automations. Some useful automations we've added to our board are the following:
- This automation sends out a customized, automatic notification as soon as a specific date is approaching - in our case, the starting date of our timeline in which the campaign will go live. We've decided to notify the campaign owner, who can make sure to wrap up every last detail before the campaign gets launched. Our notifications will go out one day before, to make sure we are right on track for the launch date!
- We’ve also added in three separate automations which will instantly move our campaigns to the appropriate group according to the campaign status label they are given. This will help to keep our board automatically organized for us and save us loads of time on manual actions that we would otherwise need to do!
Integrate your favorite platforms
Integrations allow you to seamlessly connect your favorite external platforms to your monday.com account! When running marketing campaigns, it may be useful to consider integrating with Mailchimp to easily bring in campaign performance statistics into your board, using the Gmail Integration to run email-based marketing campaigns, utilizing the Facebook Ads Integration to sync your Facebook campaign details into monday.com, to name a few. Let's check out how the Mailchimp integration may be used as an example for this!
- Using Malichimp to automatically pull campaign statistics into your board
Although there are several Mailchimp recipe options for you to choose from, we'll explore the below recipe which allows you to automatically bring in your Mailchimp campaign statistics directly into your board for you to then track and analyze.
To configure this recipe, simply choose the duration in which you wish to track the campaign statistics once it has been sent, the specific list from Mailchimp that you are looking to track, and finally the group to post the campaign statistics in within your board!
In our case, since we want to track campaign statistics one week after the campaign went live, we chose this time frame in the recipe. Additionally, since we're looking to track the 'Unplugged' campaign in our 'Live' group on our board, we indicated this information in the recipe as well:
Amazing! Now exactly one week after our chosen campaign was sent, we'll instantly see a new item on our board in the "Live" group, populated with the current campaign statistics for us to analyze. 💥
This was just one example of an integration that is useful when it comes to automatically bringing in your campaign data onto your board. There are many more options available in the integrations center which we encourage you to explore to see how they can enhance your marketing workflow!
Create in-depth campaign reports with the Dashboards
To give us a great visual overview of all of our marketing campaigns centralized in one place, we've created a dashboard loaded with widgets and filled with our campaign data!
Let's check some of the widgets that help us get us a clear report of our campaigns:
- Battery Widget: Here, we used the battery widget to get a progress overview of all of our campaigns in one, aggregated place. Not only this, but we can also click into any of the status labels to get a drill-down of the connected items and even edit information directly from here!
- The Numbers Widget: We've added three separate number widgets onto our dashboard to summarize various numerical data points for us. We summed up all delivered campaigns and displayed an average of both the opened and clicked rates from all of our live and completed campaigns.
- The Chart Widget: We've utilized two separate chart widgets in different formats on our dashboard. The left chart widget is used to display a breakdown of the money spent and delivered emails for each of the campaign channels, while the right chart indicates the percentage of campaigns that we are running per channel.
- The Timeline Widget: Finally, the timeline widget allows us to view and manage our campaign date ranges at a glance!
Have fun with it!
These boards, views, automations and more are intended to be a starting point to help you get started on the right foot with your campaign management workflow! You can use these exact boards if they're right for you, but don't be afraid to experiment and test out all of the amazing features on monday.com! Make sure to check out other prepared templates and explore the Columns Center to see all of the ways you can use columns as building blocks to build out your own unique board! You can also customize your own automations, enable loads of integrations, and pull in data from multiple boards into high-level dashboards to really connect the dots in your campaign tracking workflow. 🤩
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team by using our contact form. We're available 24/7 and happy to help!