Workspace permissions allow workspace owners to control what actions can be performed by which team members within the workspace. Workspace owners can set up permissions based on the needs of the workspace and the individual teams. Feel secure and ready for action with these workspace permission settings. 🙌
How it works
Workspace permissions will be secondary to any permissions set up on the account level. This meaning, if your account level permissions is set to allow only admins to create private boards, the workspace permissions cannot be set to allow all team members to create private boards.
When setting up workspace permissions, the workspace owner(s) will be able to define what permissions can be performed by each workspace role (whether they are a workspace owner, workspace member, or workspace non-member). You can read more about workspace roles in this section of the article!
Setting up workspace permissions
The workspace permissions can be found by clicking on the workspace name itself from the workspace dropdown menu. Then, from the workspace main page, select the "Permissions" tab as shown below.
Once you are on the "Permissions" tab, you can decide which workspace role (explained in the section below!) will have the permissions to perform certain actions within the workspace, such as creating board types, dashboards, workdocs, and more!
To do this, start by selecting the workspace role on the left side of the screen which you'd like to set the permissions for, as below:
Next, you can select certain permissions to allow the chosen workspace role to be able to perform that action, or de-select a permission type to remove their ability.
Simple as at! Using workspace permissions, you can decide exactly who can use certain features within your workspace. 🙌
Available permission types
With workspace permissions, you can choose who (i.e. which workspace role) has the ability to perform specific actions within your workspace. You can find the list of available actions in the table below:
Using workspace permissions, you can customize which specific workspace role will have access to certain permissions! Read below to learn more about what each workspace role means. ⬇️
- Workspace owner: The person who created the workspace, or was "crowned" as an owner by another workspace owner. A workspace owner will appear under the "members" tab with a blue crown next to their name.
- Workspace member: A person who was invited to join a workspace. A workspace member will appear under the "members" tab with a grey crown next to their name.
- Workspace non-member: A person that was invited to a board or workdoc inside the workspace, but has not been invited to the workspace itself. A workspace non-member will have partial access to the workspace, but is not considered a full workspace member and their name will not be displayed under the "members" tab.
Types of workspaces
In addition to workspace permissions, you can also choose to set your workspace as "Open" or "Closed" in order to restrict who is able to join it from your account.
With open workspaces:
- Any team member can instantly join and access an open workspace.
- Any team member will have access to all main boards in all open workspaces and any private/shareable boards they have been invited to.
With closed workspaces:
- Any team members can join by invite or request to join.
- Once joining, they have access to all main boards within that workspace, and any private/shareable boards they've been invited to.
- Any team member subscribed to a board from a closed workspace will have access to that board but will not be able to see anything else within the workspace.
- Main boards in closed workspaces are accessible only to team members who have joined the workspace (and board subscribers as mentioned above).
- These workspaces will be marked with a lock symbol, indicating a closed workspace.
By default all team members can create a workspace. However, admins of an Enterprise plan can also manage who is able to create workspaces, allowing an extra level control. This can be done by clicking on your profile picture in the bottom left of your screen, then "Admin", and navigating to "Permissions"
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team right here. We're available 24/7 and happy to help.