As students, planning and organization is a top priority. Balancing the courses and their demands while still maintaining a functioning personal life is no easy task. Regardless of your year of study, our basic student workflow guide will help you get started as a student and give you the meaningful insights needed to power up your studies (and stay sane!).
Set up the High Level Class Schedule
As a student, you probably have multiple courses you're juggling at any given time. Now you can keep track of all of them in one place and track your course grades with the help of your High Level Class Schedule board. Let's take a look at it below.
Essential columns on this board
Columns allow you to store and organizing all essential pieces of information that you'd like to make easily accessible at all times. This will help you stay on top of your work, as the pressure piles up. We've added the following columns to our board:
- People column - Used to assign your classmates associated with each class to understand who you will be collaborating with on assignments and study groups.
- Status column - This will allow you to easily identify your schedule and what days of the week each class falls on.
- Hour column - To keep track of the start and end times of each class.
- The Text Column - To keep track of the room number of each class as well as any notes for the course.
- The Numbers Column - to track the amount of credits you are taking ti ensure that you're meeting credit requirements.
Now you have your foundation of your High Level board set up. Follow us as we dive deeper.
Setup the Manage Class Assignments board
A low-level board is a great tool to manage all of the important individual assignments and keep track of all your classwork! Unlike a high-level board, which is intended to give more of a course overview, low-level boards track your assignments and exams closely. They can be used to manage time, resources, and can even be used as a to-do list for daily or weekly assignments. In this case, we've supplemented our high-level Class Schedule board above with a lower-level Manage Class Assignments.
On this board, we've added the following fundamental columns to make sure everything is in order and manageable:
- Status column - Multiple status columns to track the progress and priority of all tasks to stay focused on what to work on next.
- Timeline column - for long-term projects this column is key to understand when you need to get started, the length of time allotted for a project, and to track the total number of days.
- Numbers column - used to input the grades for every class assignments.
- The File Column - to include any files related to the class such as exams, papers, etc.
- The Formula Column - to calculate the final grade for every class taken. This can be adjusted so that it is relevant for your classes!
Boost your workflow with Views
To take this workflow up a notch, we've added a couple of different views that turn the data from our board into meaningful insights in the context that we need. Let's take a look at them below:
- Timeline View - Stay ahead of your deadlines
The Timeline view is a visual way to track all your responsibilities and plan accordingly, understand what assignments overlap, or where you may need to extend or shift deadlines. You can set up the timeline so that you can view the data in the easiest way. You can group by the item's status, by the person assigned to the item or by group (ie. subjects) as we've done in ours below.
- Online Docs View - View and collaborate on notes directly on the board
With the Online Docs, you and your classmates will also be able to collaborate easily on any documents and add all your comments right from monday.com. Whether it be class notes or a final paper due for your class, online docs will be a great asset to any board!
- Calendar View - View all assignments that are due!
The Calendar View - In one clean window, you can see all of the assignments or exams coming up on specific days, without getting bogged down by distractions! The Calendar View can give you an overview of your month, week, and even your day!
Connect your boards together
Our high level "Class Schedule" board is made up of different courses, which are broken down into smaller assignments in our "Manage Class Assignments" board. Since these two boards are dependent on each other, it is important to have a connection between our high-level and low-level boards. To achieve this, we've used the Connect boards column on our high level "Class Schedule" board. This column links each item- assignments and projects - on our "Manage Class Assignments" board to the specific course from the "Class Schedule" board that it belongs to. This makes sure everything is in context at all times.
To take this even further, we've added a Mirror Column to our "Class Schedule" board which allows us to display specific information from our low level board right inside the high level board! This is helpful as it provides us with the overview but also allows us to see the finer details about the courses if we need.
We've mirrored two columns onto the high level board:
1) "Assignments Status" column from the low level board so that we can easily see the the status of each of the assignments and gain an understanding of where everything stands.
2) "Final grade" column, displays the collective grades of all the assignments in each respective course. This is an important one showing the expected grade average for each course and allows us to plan where we should be investing more time and effort! Whenever we complete an assignment, we can simply update the status directly on our low-level board, and it will automatically update the high level board!
- This student workflow is made up of a high level Class Schedule board and low level Manage class assignments board
- The high level is used to provide an overview of the courses, while the low level board is used to delve into the details of each course's class work.
- Views such as the Timeline and Calendar view provide students with a clear-cut view of what's coming up to help plan accordingly and stick to deadlines.
- The Online Docs View allows students to easily collaborate on projects directly from the board itself!
- The Connect Boards column and Mirror column link up these two boards, so that students can see their overall grades and statuses of projects in glimpse, while still get down to the details.
With this workflow, you can get started managing your course work in the easiest way possible. Keep things organized and efficient with this basic student life workflow!
If you have any questions, please reach out to our team by using our contact form. We're available 24/7 and happy to help!